Terraform is a leader among infrastructure as code solutions, getting certified can be a good way to learn more about the tool or simply validate your work experience. The certification exam doesn’t cost much and is quite easy if you already have work experience with Terraform. One benefit of this certification is that it will force you to review some commands and concepts that you don’t necessary use in your day-to-day work.
Exam format: Multiple Choice Questions
Exam cost: Around $70
Number of questions: 57
Certification validity: 2 years
I used Terraform with both AWS and GCP for many years and initiated many Terraform directories from scratch for different companies, so I will give a few tips for people who are in the same situation.
- The documentation is not very long, I would suggest to go through it over a few days
- During the exam, be prepared to get many questions such as “Which is not a valid statement”
- Many questions will try to make you doubt or to add extra steps that are not necessary in typical Terraform workflow
- Read about how Terraform works behind the scene, with the resource graph especially. This actually helped me to understand some issues that happened recently at work
- You will have to know about the difference between Terraform CLI vs Cloud vs Enterprise
- Review everything about the state file and state locking
- Search for practice questions which are available online
- Review CLI commands, installation methods, templates, backends, data sources, modules, how to reference locals and variables, string functions and methods to destroy resources
Good luck to everyone taking this exam!